Today marks my 11th year “couple anniversary” with Jan. I’ve been blessed with an amazing man and an incredible relationship; filled with limitless love and genuine friendship.
Throughout the years I’ve been asked by several friends and acquaintances just how Jan and I have managed to stick together for so long. A lot of people believe that relationships take hard work, but that isn’t the complete truth. ALL relationships come with challenges… Friends, family, and so on. It’s how you work through those challenges that determine it’s fate.
In celebration of my 11 successful years of love, I’m sharing 11 tips for keeping your relationship strong and long lasting:
Yep, that’s right, 11 solid years… no breaks in between. It is possible people!!
11 Tips for Maintaining a Successful Relationship
- Laugh… A LOT: A couple that laughs together, last forever! So have fun, be silly and play often.
- Support + Build Together: Support each others aspirations, create goals together, and comfort each other in both the highs and lows.
- Always Make Time: Spending one on one time with your love is… or should be, one of the best feelings. However, just as you want to spend time with your partner, you also want to give them some breathing room. It’s all about balance. Don’t smother nor neglect one another.
- Communication: I can write an entire post on communication, but I’ll save that for another time. Here is the gist of it. Be honest with your feelings and always try to seek understanding. BOOM!
- Don’t Sleep on It: Never go to bed angry with one another. It’s unhealthy for both you and your lover. Take a short break to cool down and collect yourself, then go fix it! Oh and just saying “sorry” and “I love you” isn’t enough. Really talk it through.
- Keep the Attraction: Often times when we first start dating or crushing on someone, we’ll tweak our appearance just enough to get the other person to notice. It’s important to recognize that even if you are in a committed relationship, that doesn’t mean that you should “let yourself go,” or stop keeping yourself up. Do all of the things you did when you two first started dating… the things that attracted you to each other in the first place.
- Be Spontaneous: Keep it fresh… Change things up… explore and learn new things together.
- Never Stop Dating: I love a simple Netflix and Chill night with my hubs, but I also really enjoy getting dolled up and going out on a real date together. It doesn’t matter what you do (dinner, movie, cooking class), so long as you are enjoying each others company and time out of the house.
- Be Friends: You don’t have to be best friends, but there should definitely be a friendship factor. You want to be able to be yourself around this person 100% of the time.
- Intimacy: This is about much more than sex. Be affectionate with hugs and kisses throughout the day. Maybe even spend some time staring into each others eyes… if that’s not to creepy.
- Love Unconditionally: If you’ve been with someone as long as Jan and I have been together and you are NOT in love, than you have some serious reevaluating to do. Just don’t go jumping into a relationship for all the wrong reasons. Real love comes naturally and unexpectedly.